The following scholarships are sponsored by UT departments, colleges or individuals associated with The University and are specific to students seeking to study or conduct research abroad.
This information is provided primarily to assist undergraduate students, however, some of the scholarships are open to graduate students as well.
Fund for Education Abroad- Texas Scholarship
- The Fund for Education Abroad offers a General Scholarship, available to all students, and a dedicated scholarship for Texas students. Click here for details.
- Awards range from $1,500- $10,000.
- Students must be US citizens studying for at least 4 weeks on an accredited study abroad program.
- A Rainbow scholarship for students identifying as LGBTQI is also available.
Faculty-led UT Scholarships
- The Department of Spanish & Portuguese is offering generous scholarship awards for the Portuguese Language and Culture Program in Salvador, Brazil and the Spanish Language and Culture Program in Santander, Spain. Contact the department for application at 232-4506.
- Study Abroad Maymester and Study Abroad Summer Faculty-led UT general scholarships. Financial need is required and preference will be given to students who can demonstrate degree applicability. The scholarship deadline is November 1 for Maymester programs and December 1 for Summer faculty-led programs. The scholarship winners will be announced in upon acceptance. Apply via GLOBAL ASSIST.
Dr. Ivy McQuiddy Scholarship
- Every student going for the full academic year to non traditional locations is eligible.
- Recipients are chosen internally and awarded in the spring for the following academic year.
- Amount: $1000 (one award given)
- No application required
- Every student should apply
- For more information click here
- Deadlines: Fall: March 1, Spring: October 1, Summer: February 15
- Competition opens on the first day of class for each long semester
- Additional Information: Bi-annual local competition. Competition for study or research overseas. Awards are based both on merit and need. The competition opens on the first day of each long semester
Liberal Arts Council
- Every student in the College of Liberal Arts should apply
- Deadline: mid October and early March
- Amount: At least $500 - usually 4-7 scholarships in varying amounts from $500-1500 are given
- For additional information click here
College of Communication Scholarships
- All College of Communication students should apply
- A wide variety of scholarships are available and may be used toward UT study abroad
- A new scholarship for RTF majors participating in programs highlighted in the RTF study abroad brochure is now available. See description here.
- Deadline: Application opens during early spring each year
- Please click here for more information
Plan II Honors - Travel Grants
- Every Plan II Honors student should apply
- Plan II Scholarship Website
- Deadlines: Early March (summer/fall programs), Late October (spring programs/Maymesters)
- Award amounts typically range between $500 and $2000
School of Architecture - Mebane Travel Fund
- All Architecture students should research this opportunity
UTeach-Liberal Arts Study Abroad Scholarships
- Need based
- Deadlines: March 1 and October 1
- Contact the UTeach-Liberal Arts Office Manager for more information
Texas Exes Scholarship
- All students should apply
- Deadline: March 1
- Please click here for more information
Betty Cotten Memorial/Flying Longhorns Study Abroad Scholarship
- For current UT upper division undergraduate students who are US citizens and have been accepted into an official UT study abroad program. Academic excellence and financial need will be considered. By March 1, applicants should email an additional one-page essay to email@example.com describing their study abroad programs and reasons why they are studying abroad and why they should be considered for this scholarship. Send your essay as an attachment, making sure to include your name, EID and name of scholarship
- More information on the Betty Cotten Memorial/Flying Longhorns Study Abroad Scholarship.
40 Acres Scholarships
- The 40 Acres Scholars Program is a new scholarship created by the Texas Exes to recruit and recognize exceptional students, enriching their lives and nurturing their development as future leaders at The Unviersity of Texas at Austin
- To apply for the 40 Acres Scholarship, you must be an incoming freshman to The University of Texas at Austin.
- Deadline: December 1
- Please check here for more information
EUREKA - Undergraduate Research Fellowships
- Student going abroad on a program with a major research component should research this grant
- Deadlines vary
GlobalAustin - Study Abroad Scholarship
- This $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student participating in a study abroad program at a university or college in Central Texas. It will be awarded on May 22, 2013 at the Austin International Awards: an Evening with the Consular Corps. Submit this application plus your academic record (official transcript not required) to GlobalAustin, 1103 West 24th Street, Austin, TX 78705 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be postmarked or e-mailed no later than April 15, 2013. For information about GlobalAustin go to www.globalaustin.org.
- For application materials and more information click here
GlobalAustin - Cleo Seelinger Scholarship
- This $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student participating in a study abroad program at The University of Texas at Austin. It will be awarded in late April. Eligible applicants must be participating in programs that are at least one long semester in length. Submit this application plus your academic record (official transcript not required) to GlobalAustin, 1103 West 24th Street, Austin, TX 78705 or to email@example.com. For more information contact GlobalAustin.