The International Office supports all students at The University of Texas at Austin who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Take a moment to review information below about orientation and the International Briefing & Check-In (IBC).

All incoming students to UT who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents upon applying for admission to UT are classified by the university as international students. If you are a Texas Resident for tuition purposes, but are not a US citizen or US permanent resident, you are still classified as an international student.

For new students, your classification as an international student is represented in your Registration Information Sheet with an International bar.

If you are returning to UT after a leave of absence, you do not need to attend an IBC; however, contact International Student & Scholar Services for check-in instructions to remove your International bar.

IBC will provide you with information you need to know about your new life in Austin and at UT as an international student. You will learn about immigration, work eligibility in the US, forms of identification, and the health care system. After attending IBC, your International bar will be removed from your record. You will not be able to register for classes until you have attended IBC.

To have a speedy transition to UT bring these documents with you to your IBC session.

Undergraduate students

All undergraduate students (freshman and transfer) are required to attend a UT Orientation session presented by New Student Services. IBC sessions take place during Freshman or Transfer Orientations. The New Student Services website provides orientation dates and schedules for freshman and transfer students so you can see when IBC will take place during your session. When signing up for IBC, be sure to choose the IBC session that corresponds with your orientation dates. You will need to attend your academic advising appointment prior to attending IBC.

Sign up for a general IBC.

Graduate students

In order to attend IBC and be able to register, graduate students must sign up for a general IBC.