Paying for College in Texas

The cost of attending college should never be the reason why a student does not pursue a higher education. Below you will find suggestions for ways to fund your educational goals.

You may qualify as a resident of Texas for tuition purposes under Senate Bill 1528 and be eligible for resident tuition rates. These rates are much lower than non-resident tuition rates. Answer the following questions and find out if you are eligible!

  • Have you lived in Texas the three years leading up to high school graduation or the receipt of a GED?
  • Have you resided in Texas the year prior to enrollment at an institution of higher education (which could overlap the three year period)?

If you answered yes to both questions, then you are likely eligible to claim Texas residency, and apply for both in-state tuition and state financial aid!

Here are some ways you can afford college:

Unless you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. legal permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen you do not qualify for federal financial assistance to pay for college. However, you may be eligible to receive state and institutional financial aid under HB 1403/SB 1528. To receive this aid, you must fill out the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) or paper FAFSA (preferred).

You can print the application at or paper FAFSA (preferred). You can also get the forms from your college advisor or counselor, The Office of Admissions, or The Office of Student Financial Services. Every year, you and your parents must fill out the application with information about your family’s income and expenses. This application will help the colleges determine how much state financial aid you are eligible for. Remember that you must apply by the school's priority deadline to be considered for maximum funding!

Get help filling out your FAFSA/TASFA form:

  • Most high schools offer financial aid information sessions for students and parents. Check with your school to see if services are available.
  • Email for advice about completing financial aid forms for UT.
  • Video guides (available in English and Spanish) from

For individual questions on your TASFA or FAFSA form, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at

Financial aid may only cover a part of your school expenses, so make sure to apply for scholarships to fund the rest! While some scholarships require you to have a social security number, there are a few that don't. The following organizations keep running lists of scholarships SB1528 students may be eligible for.

For Continuing and Transfer Students

The Office of Financial Aid has a scholarship application for university-based scholarships due April 1 each year. This application becomes available in November and will apply to many scholarship awards through Financial Aid and students' academic departments for the following year. To complete this application visit and complete the first application if you are a continuing student or one of the following three if you are a student transferring into UT for the first time.

The Selective Service System is an agency of the United States government that maintains information on those who could be potentially subject to a military enlistment.

All men living in the United States who are between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service, even those without a Social Security Number.

Those with Social Security Numbers can register online. Otherwise, register at a local post office. Ask for a copy of the completed registration form before it is mailed.

Most universities and colleges will not release financial aid without proof of registration with the Selective Service.

Loans should be a last resort for paying for college. Student loan lenders must approve the student (and cosigner) before funds can be released and lenders review criteria such as residency and credit worthiness which may impact loan approval. Undocumented students are not eligible for federal loans.

Students are encouraged to contact International Texas Resident Team at Financial Aid with individual financial aid questions/concerns. The International Texas Resident Team consists of Financial Aid Officers who are familiar working with undocumented students.

International Texas Resident Team