An extension of stay is required for students in J-1 status who do not complete their degree program by the program end date listed on the DS-2019. Extensions of stay may only be granted if the student has continually maintained status and the delay in completing program was caused by compelling academic or medical reasons. Students must apply for an extension PRIOR to reaching their program end date and may request an extension up to six months prior to the program end date.
How to apply for an Extension of Stay
Extension requests must be received no later than 10 business days from the DS-2019 program end date. Submitting an extension request does not guarantee approval.
- STEP 1: Log into myIO. If you are unfamiliar with myIO, see the "Welcome to myIO" webpage.
- STEP 2: In myIO, click on "J1 Student Services," then "Extension of DS-2019" e-form. Before submitting, be sure your academic advisor is aware of your extension request, as they will receive an email with a link to an online form that they must complete before your extension request can be reviewed.
- STEP 3: Complete the information requested and upload your updated financial support documentation as PDF files.
Reciprocal Exchange Students: In addition to the information above, you will also need permission from your home university to continue at UT for an additional semester. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an exchange student advising appointment for assistance.
Graduate Students: PhD students who seek an extension beyond seven years and Master’s students who seek an extension beyond three years from their original program start date will be asked to provide more detailed information
Sponsored Students: If you are a sponsored student, you and your sponsor will also need to complete the form Sponsored Student Extension Acknowledgement. Please schedule an appointment for Sponsored Student Advising or email Sponsored Student Services with any questions.
- An ISSS advisor will review your extension request within 3-5 business days and notify you by email of a decision or need for additional information.
- Students employed on-campus who are granted an extension will need to show a copy of the extended DS-2019 to their employing department, or take a copy directly to Employee Record Services in NOA 2.200 to update their Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification).