J-1 Extension of Stay

An extension of stay is required for students who do not complete their degree program by the program end date listed on the DS-2019. Students must apply for an extension before these documents expire and may request an extension up to six months prior to the program end date.

There are two ways to apply for an extension of stay. You can either schedule an appointment with an immigration advisor or complete the secure online application below (this service is not available to sponsored students). Online applications must be received no later than 10 business days from your DS-2019 end date. The processing time for complete online applications is 5 business days.

Submit Extension Request

  • Exchange students may not apply for extension using the online application.

Documents needed to extend your DS-2019:

  • Extension of Stay Request Form (PDF)
  • Proof of financial support:
    • You should be able to verify the amount necessary for the extension with a personal bank statement or sponsor’s letter and sponsor’s bank statement.
      • If you are a Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, or Graduate Research Assistant and will continue with your appointment, please have your department fill out the 2nd page of the Extension of Stay Request Form.
      • Please see the Certificate of Financial Responsibility for current funding requirements.
  • Proof of health insurance for yourself and dependent
  • Form I-94
  • Your dependents’ Forms I-94, if applicable

Reciprocal Exchange Students

In addition to the information above, you will also need permission from your home university to continue at UT for an additional semester. Contact exchangeadvisor@austin.utexas.edu or attend exchange student advising for assistance.

Graduate Students

In addition to the information above, PhD students who seek an extension beyond seven years and Master’s students who seek an extension beyond three years from their original program start date will be asked to provide more detailed information (see Part II on the Extension of Stay Request Form).

Sponsored Students

If you are a sponsored student, you and your sponsor will also need to complete the form Sponsored Student Extension Acknowledgement. The secure online application is not available to sponsored students. Please schedule an appointment for Sponsored Student Advising or email Sponsored Student Services with any questions.

Employment On Campus

Students working on campus need to show a copy of the extended DS-2019 to their employing department, or take a copy directly to Employee Record Services in NOA 2.200 to update their Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification).