Exchange Student FAQ

There is currently an error with the application status page. Right now all exchange student applicants see that application is incomplete whether or not they have any further documents to complete. If you have completed the process on our application page, then you are okay.

We will begin reviewing applications after the March 1st deadline. Should we need anything further from you, we will contact you directly at that time.

There is currently an error with the application status page. Not all documents that you have uploaded will appear in the documents list (passport and miscellaneous documents will not be reflected in the list). Please do not upload them again, and do not email them to the exchange advisor. We will begin reviewing applications after the March 1st deadline. Should we need anything further from you, we will contact you directly at that time.

Please go back to the exchange application website and create a new UT-EID. When creating the UT-EID, please be sure to indicate that you plan to apply to UT as a student.You may need to use a different email address to do this. With the new EID created through the exchange website, you should be able to access the application with no problem.

Look at past course schedules. While there is no guarantee that these classes will be offered in the semester that students wish to visit UT, it gives a good general idea.

To find information about the content of each class, students can go to the course catalog.

Find a syllabus for a particular class - be aware that these exact syllabi might not be used for the semester or particular course you wish to take during your exchange. Professors will distribute new and updated syllabi during the first week of classes. Check out our catalog for how to read our course numbers.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal, and it does not mean that you will not be able to take any classes when you arrive at UT. The way registration works at UT is that returning students select their courses in the previous semester. They generally select classes tentatively and then add and drop classes once they arrive back on campus for the new semester. This will typically open up sufficient room for exchange students to be able to get into the classes they need. Once you arrive on the UT campus, you will work with an academic advisor to select your classes and register for them.

Exchange students are not guaranteed a spot in any course and are strongly advised to have an array of course options ready to choose from.

General exchange students are generally not allowed to take classes at the McCombs School of Business. However, a number of courses at UT called "Business Foundation" courses meant for non-business majors would be open to exchange students. The professors are all from the business school, and content is very similar in most of the Foundation courses (any business course with an F at the end, ex: FIN 320F, MKT 320F, etc.).

Non-business majors who wish to enroll in McCombs courses FOR business students need to fill out the Enrollment Control Petition once you arrive on the UT campus. Only two courses can be taken via ECP and you must have taken the prerequisites for any course you enroll in. These courses are available only on a space available basis but If you are flexible with the courses you are willing to take, you should be able to find a McCombs course.

General exchange students may NOT take MBA courses. The McCombs School of Business has separate exchange agreements with certain business schools abroad. MBA exchange programs follow their own admission and administrative procedures.

Economics is a separate department in the UT College of Liberal Arts and not part of the McCombs School of Business.

Generally, US academic credits are transferred on a 1-to-2 scale to ECTS credits. So a 3-credit course would be counted as a 6-ECTS credit course. Most UT courses are 3 credits. You can know the number of credits of the class by looking at the first number in its course number (GOV 310 is a 3 credit class). The final decision on how to transfer credits is up to your university

As a J-1 exchange student you are eligible for Academic Training immediately following your program of study as long as the work or internship is in your area of study. Once you have finalized the details of your internship(s), we could extend your current DS2019 and authorize academic training for the duration of the internship.

See Work on Campus for a detailed list of documents you need for this process. Your employer must provide an offer letter that meets our requirements. If you want more information, schedule an appointment with the exchange advisor.

Our general exchange program is for the undergraduate level only. If you want to participate as a graduate student, you must contact the UT graduate program you wish to take classes with to find out if they accept non-degree seeking graduate students. However, if you are accepted as a non-degree seeking student by a graduate department, you will be responsible for all tuition fees through the duration of your stay.

To extend your exchange for an additional semester, ask the exchange coordinator at your home institution to send an email to giving permission for your extension. You will need to obtain a new Certification of Financial Responsibility and schedule an appointment with the Exchange Advisor to extend your DS-2019 and registration record.

If you have already applied for campus housing, please contact UT Housing directly to see when housing decisions will be made and check what chances you have of getting campus housing. If you do not get a room on campus, you may stay in either one of the private dormitories or a co-op located next to campus. Many exchange students choose these as their housing option and really enjoy them. Please view our housing page for more information on housing options.