Passport to UT is an optional, fun and informative week-long orientation exclusively for international students. Settle into life in Austin and get the most out of your time on campus by connecting with staff and students who can help you before and during your time at UT. Learn your way around, find resources for academic success, absorb the culture, and get help finding housing. Make friends with other international students as you get to know your very own student mentor and local friendship family. We’ll help you find your Longhorn pride and make UT your home.
- Private International Briefing and Check-in and assistance in registration bar removal
- In-depth sessions focusing on American culture and university life
- Personal assistance with securing housing and setting up utilities
- Guided city and campus tours
- Cultural activities including a trip to a Dude Ranch!
- Dedicated student mentor and Austin friendship host
- Meetings with international student advisors, academic coordinators, faculty and current UT students
- Networking and social opportunities with peers
Applications Now Open
Receive a customized orientation to Austin, UT, and your academic department while making valuable connections with fellow international students. EXTENDED DEADLINE: Apply by June 11, 2018!
August 10 - 17, 2018
Housing Check-In: August 9
Program Start: August 10
Program End: August 18
Housing Check-Out: August 19
*Please consider any overlapping dates for required orientation programs such as: ESL, the LBJ School or McCombs School of Business
Program Fee (includes housing): $1,300
Program Fee (without housing): $905*
- Airport transportation upon arrival
- On-campus housing for ten nights* (excluded in the $905 rate)
- Four group meals
- Guided city tour
- Apartment locator services
- Dude Ranch Trip (meals, horseback riding, various additional activities included)
- Transportation to City of Austin utilities office
- International Office T-Shirt
- And More!
Passport to UT is an optional orientation specifically for international students interested in a personalized introduction to UT. This program is offered in addition to the orientation provided for all international students by the International Office, which is free of charge.
As a student, you will experience all four seasons in Austin, from very hot to cold. Here’s an idea of what you might like to pack, depending on your lifestyle. Check out an overview of the annual weather in Austin.
- Casual clothes
- Business or dressy clothes
- Light-weight and heavy coat
- Swim suit
- Athletic clothes
- Comfortable shoes
- Dress shoes
- Toiletry bag
- Toothpaste & toothbrush
- Make-up, moisturizers, & hair products
- Aspirin/prescription medicines in clearly labeled containers
- Small first-aid kit
- Card listing allergies & medical conditions
- Prescription glasses/Contacts & contact solution
- Cash for incidentals until you set up a bank account
- Writing materials & utensils
- Power adapters and cords for electronics
- Power adapters
- Travel clock
- Camera with extra storage (memory card)
- Pictures of family & friends
(This may reduce homesickness)
Travel documents to take with you:
- Passport with required visa
- Government Photo ID (i.e. passport)
- Major international credit cards (i.e. American Express, VISA/MasterCard)
- Telephone numbers, destinations & addresses in U.S. to be visited
- Copy of your passport (photo and visa pages) & other travel documents
- Admission letter and offer letter from UT department
Additional packing tips:
- Label your suitcase inside and out with your name, home address, and a sticker, ribbon, patch, or other unique identifier to your luggage to make it easier to find.
- Bring your travel documents and passport, along with copies of your passport and visa, in your carry-on luggage. Do not pack them in your checked bag!
- Leave a copy of your travel documents at home with someone who can be contacted in case of an emergency while you are away.
- Bring any extra medication you might need and carry prescriptions for any medications that you take with you.
- Fill out and return the Participant Pre-Arrival Survey you will receive from the International Office
- Follow the International Office on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay informed
- Practice your English (speaking, reading, and writing)
- Make a commitment to challenge yourself to meet new people and try new things before you leave home
- Learn more about Austin and U.S. culture
- Connect with other Passport to UT participants through our Facebook group
The International Office will arrange airport pick-up from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to the residence hall for Passport to UT participants. After registering for the program, participants will receive information on how to submit their arrival information to UT.
Participants will be housed for ten nights during the Passport to UT program (August 9-19).
Linens and basic kitchen items will be provided to participants so they do not have go shopping immediately upon arrival.
Finding Permanent Housing in Austin
There is no need to make housing arrangements prior to arrival. We will help you! An apartment locator will show you apartment options in several areas of town so you can make the best choice for your lifestyle. Staff will explain rental agreements in Texas and provide you with tips for finding safe and affordable housing. This service is available exclusively for Passport to UT participants. If you need to extend your stay after the program, we can work with you to ensure you have an apartment set up before moving out of the program's housing option for an additional cost.
Passport to UT is organized by the ISSS Special Programs team. For more information, please contact us:
2400 Nueces St., Unit B
Austin, TX 78705