The UT Board of Regents requires that all international students in an F or J visa status have health insurance, including medical evacuation/repatriation insurance, for the entire duration of their student status. Enrollment in the UT Student Health Insurance Plan is automatic at the time of registration, and the cost of the policy is included in the student’s tuition and fee bill.
- Fall health and evacuation/repatriation fees are reflected on the fall fee bill.
- Spring and summer health insurance and evacuation/repatriation fees are reflected on the spring fee bill.
Student insurance is provided by Academic Health Plans/BlueCross BlueShield. For details regarding the AHP/BCBS plan, please refer to UT Health Insurance Plan.
Graduate students that receive benefits-eligible academic assignments must submit a request via the online waiver system to waive out of the student health insurance plan each semester of their employment. For more information about the insurance waiver process, please refer to the student Insurance Waivers page.
Note: International Student & Scholar Services are only able to assist students with insurance questions if they are covered by AHP/BCBS. Students who are insured through the UT Select insurance benefits must direct their insurance questions to:
Human Resource Services Center
North Office Building A (NOA)
101 E. 27th Street
Telephone: (512) 471-4772
General Information about insurance and benefits for student employees can be found on the HRS Insurance page.
Health Insurance Requirements for Dependents
It is recommended by the University that all students (regardless of visa category) purchase dependent health insurance for any family members that accompany the student to the United States.
It is required by The U.S. Department of State that the accompanying spouse and children of J visa holders have health, medical evacuation, and repatriation coverage. Willful failure to provide health insurance for dependents will result in the termination of the J student’s program.
Please refer to Insurance Costs and Coverage Dates for AHP/BCBS dependent pricing information.
Students may request a waiver of the student insurance if able to present an alternative insurance policy that is comparable to the UT Health Insurance Plan according to the UT Board of Regents waiver policy. Waiver details, including eligibility criteria, deadlines, and download-able waiver request forms can be found at Insurance Waivers.
- Departments can assist students with the waiver process by reminding students of the deadlines to waive the student insurance fees.
- Waiver requests will not be accepted after the specified deadlines.
- Letters of coverage and/or department emails will not be accepted in lieu of a student completing the online waiver request process if being assigned as a TA/GRA/AI/other benefit-eligible category.