The U.S. Sports & Culture Immersion Program is a four-week, custom designed, multi-faceted learning experience related to sport and physical education for Chinese undergraduate students studying sports management, economics, marketing and other related fields. It combines classwork, panels and a variety of excursions involving sports and physical fitness around Central Texas.
Xiaofen Keating, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Curriculum Instruction & Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program, will teach a daily course titled "A Glance at NBA and US NCAA Basketball." This course has been designed to explore the characteristics of NBA and NCAA-basketball in comparison with those in China; and watch NBA games to better understand the base of US sports and its culture.
Through readings, lectures, watching games, interactive discussions, and project-based learning, students and coaches will engage in an enriched learning experience related to American basketball and its role in schools. In order to help coaches and students fully understand the course content and get involved in active learning activities, a current PETE doctoral student will assist in facilitating the course. The project-based approach embedded with experiential learning and coaching focusing on one of the most popular sports in the US and China is one of the unique features that many existing sports programs do not have.
Different from many other programs held in the US, the course will be taught in both English and Chinese as the instructor is fluent in both languages.
Leaders from university departments and community organizations will host panel discussions. During these sessions, participants will connect directly with practitioners in their prospective work environments and identify ways in which physical education and sports intersect. Tentative panel topics include:
- Sports & Media – Hosted by the Texas Program in Sports & Media, this panel will provide participants with an understanding and use of media in American sports. The discussion will be led by the Program Director for the Texas Program in Sports & Media (TPSM).
- Athletes & Leadership – This panel will focus on the development of UT’s Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation (CSLi) and its goal of cultivating leadership and character reform among student athletes. Panelists will include staff from CSLi and UT student athletes.
- UT RecSports: Connecting Students with Athletics – This panel will provide an overview of the history and current structure of the university recreational sports programs and activities. Panel speakers will include staff from RecSports’ Programs Office.
- Sport Management – This panel will explore training and careers in the management, marketing, and administration of sport programs in educational settings, sport business, or the entertainment industry. The discussion will be led by faculty from UT’s sport management program.
Athletic & Cultural Excursions are designed for participants to experience and enjoy various athletic and leisure pursuits in and around Austin. Throughout the program, participants will engage in the following activities:
- Indoor Rock Climbing at the UT Rec Sport Center
- Group Workout by Camp Gladiator
- Viewing of a UT Men’s Basketball Game
- Excursion to San Antonio to explore the Riverwalk, Tour the AT&T Center, and view a San Antonio Spurs Basketball Game
- Tour of the LBJ Library & Museum
- Excursion to Houston to Tour the Toyota Center and view a Houston Rockets Basketball Game
- Bowling & Billiards at the Texas Union Underground
- NBA Game-watching Events at local venues
Site visits are intended to introduce participants to the iconic sporting venues of the region. Participants will visit: