International Academy is a short-term program for university-level students. It provides an immersive environment in a top-ranked global university to improve students’ skills and prepare them for further studies abroad.
Students will gain first-hand experience in their selected track with curriculum that focuses on practice, problem-solving, and application, while improving their ability to communicate their subject-area knowledge in English with oral and written communication classes.
- Small classes, 5 days a week for 17 total weekly hours
- Meet students from all over the world
- Hands-on, practical experience and experiential learning
- Connect to experts, get career guidance and field insights
- Gain U.S. cultural knowledge and academic perspectives
- Improve technical written English and oral communication
- Better understand and prepare for U.S. university admissions
- Experience field trips, site visits, labs, or other subject-related out of classroom learning
- Enjoy cultural excursions and sight-seeing in and around Austin
- Receive a certification of completion
Select a track to learn more details.
The program cost of $4,500 is all inclusive of tuition and fees, health insurance, housing, meal plan, excursions, transportation, and airport pick-up/drop-off. Students will need to arrange their flights and personal spending money.
We will offer a 2-week winter session for the Accounting Track, January 19 - February 2, 2019. The application deadline for the winter session is December 15, 2018; apply for the winter session.
Summer sessions are held July 13 - August 10, 2019. To ensure timely document and visa processing, please complete the application below by May 15.
Gain exposure to the study of business in the U.S., learn from business experts, make company visits, and gain skills in business English and U.S. culture.
- Foundations of Accounting
- Written Communications in Business
- Business English for Oral Communication
Advertising and Public Relations
Explore the difference between advertising and public relations, learn how new media compares with traditional advertising and PR, learn about managing change in the industry, study current issues, and complete case study exercises. Be exposed to U.S. business culture, language, and expression and complete a project with a client for your portfolio.
- Foundations of Advertising, PR and Social Media
- Client Project
- Oral Communication for Advertising and PR
- Written Communications for Business
Discover the latest developments in educational psychology, visit testing centers and labs, and present on self-directed educational outcomes while improving professional skills in interpersonal communication, speech, and writing. This program is for designed those pursuing a career in education, school counseling, educational advising, or family therapy.
- Introduction to Educational Psychology: Theory
- Educational Psychology Application
- Oral Communication
- Academic Writing
Gain hands-on experience in engineering and improve scientific written and oral communications in English. You will identify an engineering problem and work in groups to research, design and execute an experiment, and develop solutions.
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Engineering Physics
- Written Communication for Science
- Oral Communication for Science
Language and Culture
Improve your English language and learn more about U.S. culture. This program offers unique cultural experiences, helping you advance your knowledge and communication skills through practice.
- Listening and Speaking
- Reading and Discussion
- American Culture
- Communication Skills and Strategies
This program is for senior-level students in petroleum engineering or related field. Utilizing a seminar series structure, this program enables you to learn from leading experts on the latest topics in petroleum engineering while improving your written and spoken communication in English for graduate school or professional advancement. Seminars will be on such topics as:
- Renewable Energy
- Petrophysics & Formation Evaluation
- Reservoir Engineering
- Hydraulic Fracturing in U.S.
- The Application of Big Data in the Energy Industry
- Flaring in Petroleum Systems
- Energy Economy
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Resources
Gain hands-on experience in software engineering and improve scientific written and oral communications in English. From an applied engineering angle, students will utilize labs and complete a programming project that will be presented at the end of the program.
- Foundations of Software Engineering
- Oral Communication for Science
- Written Communications in Science
If you are an English education major who plans to enter a teaching English career, this program is for you. Attend classes five days per week and participate weekly in volunteering and local cultural excursions. Get feedback and improve your own English and learn strategies for enhancing teaching and learning in your own country.
- Second Language Acquisition & ESL Methods
- Communicative Language Teaching (Listening/Speaking)
- Technology in Language Learning
- U.S. Culture
- Academic Writing Skills/Teaching Writing
- Grammar/Teaching Grammar