Free ESL Classes
If you are interested in taking classes, please join our mailing list for announcements about registration, classes, and schedules.
Registration & Placement Testing for Fall 2016
Returning students (individuals who have taken a course or the placement test in the past) are not required to attend registration and placement testing for our Fall 2016 classes. Returning students will be contacted individually by email to apply for one, two, or all three of our fall sessions (September 12 – October 7, October 10 – November 4, and November 14 – December 14).
New students (individuals who have not taken a course or the placement test in the past) are required to attend registration and placement testing for our free ESL classes.
- Family Name A-L: Tuesday, September 6th, 3:30-4:30PM
- Family Name M-Z: Wednesday, September 7th, 3:30-4:30PM
- Location: UT ESL Services Classrooms, located in the University Towers building (801 West 24th St, Austin, TX 78705). Please call 512-471-2480 or 512-471-2484 if you need assistance with directions.
- Registration and testing will take approximately 1 hour (students who arrive after 4:30PM will not be tested).
- New students can to apply for one, two, or all three of our fall sessions.
- September 12 - October 7
- October 10 - November 4
- November 14 - December 14
When do classes meet? 5:00-7:00 PM Monday through Friday on the UT campus
How many levels are there? Students will be tested and placed into a lower or an upper level class. These classes are for beginner and intermediate level students. These classes are not intended for true beginners or UT undergraduate and graduate students. If you are interested in other ESL classes for higher-level students, you can look at the UT ESL Services Programs website for their class offerings. You may also email them at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
How many students are there? There can be a maximum of 50 ESL students in the program per session.
Who are the teachers? The UT CELTA ESL classes are taught by teachers-in-training during their CELTA certification course, and accredited CELTA trainers oversee all the classes. The CELTA stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages, and it is the most widely recognized certificate program for teaching English in the world.
Will I receive a course certificate? A certificate of completion will be awarded at the end of each session to students with good attendance. Good attendance is defined as attending 75% of the classes.
Other questions? Email CELTA@austin.utexas.edu