The First Abroad Scholarship provides approximately 25 first-year UT students each year with a one-time scholarship of $3,000 to help cover the costs of a UT-approved study abroad program of their choice.
This scholarship is ideal for first-year students that know they want to study abroad, but have not yet chosen a program. Recipients have up to three academic years to select a program and participate, ensuring sufficient time to plan their study abroad experience.
For example, a student who is awarded a First Abroad Scholarship in September 2018 may use the scholarship in any term between spring 2018 and summer 2021.
In order to be considered for a First Abroad Scholarship, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- You must be a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- This must be your first time in college (i.e. you did not transfer after a year at another institution)
- Your first semester at UT was fall 2017
- You must demonstrate financial need and have a current FAFSA on file with UT Austin
- You have not studied abroad before while at UT
- You are not a recipient of the Hutchison International Scholarship
The application will open in February 2018. If you would like to be notified when the application is available, please fill out this short interest survey.
Application Deadline: September 14th at 11:59PM
Award decisions are made by the end of September. Funding must be used within three academic years of receiving the award.
The First Abroad scholarship coordinator is Tanya Kennel Hernández. She is available for individual study abroad advising and mentoring. Scholars are encouraged to meet with their scholarship coordinator each semester to plan the study abroad experience that best meets individual academic, personal and professional goals. Scholars must contact their coordinator in order to arrange the disbursement of their scholarship.