The First Abroad Scholarship supports first-generation students planning for a study abroad experience. It is a one-time scholarship of $3,000 used to fund participation in a UT-approved study abroad program. We will award 15 students in the 2018-19 school year.
This scholarship is ideal for first-generation students that know they want to study abroad, but have not yet chosen a program. Recipients work with an advisor to explore program options, learn about funding opportunities, and establish an academic plan for study abroad.
You are eligible for the First Abroad scholarship if the following describes you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- This is your first time in college (i.e. you did not transfer after a year at another institution)
- Your first semester at UT was fall 2017 or will be fall 2018
- You have a current FAFSA on file with UT Austin
- You have not studied abroad before while at UT
- You are not a recipient of the Hutchison International Scholarship
Applications are due by 11:59 PM on Sunday, September 16, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted. We anticipate that scholarship notifications will be made in mid-October via email.
The First Abroad scholarship coordinator is Tanya Kennel Hernández. First Abroad Scholars meet with their scholarship coordinator each semester to plan the study abroad experience that best meets individual academic, personal and professional goals. Scholars must contact their coordinator in order to arrange the disbursement of their scholarship.