UT Austin is a committed partner of Generation Study Abroad, an initiative to double the number of U.S. students studying abroad by the year 2020. UT Austin’s commitment is focused specifically on doubling the number of UT Austin students studying in Latin America.
As home to the premier Institute for Latin American Studies and the Benson Collection, UT Austin is uniquely situated to provide a world-class education for our students interested in learning about Latin America. With Texas’s shared border with Mexico and significant trade throughout the Americas, it is more important than ever that Longhorn graduates have the language and cultural skills to succeed in a career that requires interaction with people and businesses in the region.
Facts and Figures
- In 2015-16, 405 UT Austin students studied in Latin America
- Our goal is to send 810 students on programs in Latin America in 2019-20
- Students can study in English, Spanish and Portuguese
- Opportunities are offered in 12 countries on 75 or more unique programs
As a UT Faculty member, how can I get involved?
- Propose to lead a faculty-led study abroad program
- Teach a Global Classroom with a faculty member in a Latin American country
- Promote study abroad in Latin America to my students
- Request a presentation
- Involve students in my research in Latin America
Visit the Get Involved page for more information.