Students studying abroad on official exchange programs, affiliated studies programs, and faculty-led programs that are four weeks long or greater are required to see a health care provider before departure to obtain a health clearance. Additionally, the International Oversight Committee (IOC) has the authority to require that students obtain a health clearance before taking part in University-related international travel. At this time, the International Office does not accept health clearances completed by Doctors of Chiropractic. Information from the health clearance process is confidential and is not used during the application process. Failure to submit a health clearance form by the deadline will result in the student being withdrawn from their program without a refund.
Forms and Submission
Students should download the health clearance form below and take it to their physical exam appointment. Students who see a specialist for an ongoing condition should also have the specialist report form completed.
Completed health clearance forms should be sent by the examining physician directly to the International Office. Forms that are not completed at University Health Services may be sent to the IO the following ways:
- Fax: 512-232-4363
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Study Abroad, University of Texas at Austin, P.O. Box A, Austin, TX 78713-890
Notes to Students:
- Bring your immunization records to your appointment. Physical copies are preferred, but electronic versions (scans, screenshots, etc.) are also acceptable. These will help your health care provider determine the vaccines you should consider receiving before departure. UHS does not have complete immunization records for all students.
- Health clearances may be completed up to six months prior to your deadline for completion of pre-departure forms.
- After your Health clearance form is received and processed, the Health clearance module in the Study Abroad Portal will read "Completed."
- Please allow 3-5 business days - after your form is submitted - for your health clearance to post.
Travel Health Course and Clinic
All students are strongly encouraged to complete the online travel health course from UHS. The course is free, and covers how to avoid becoming sick while traveling, as well as what to do if you become sick.
You are also encouraged to visit the UHS Travel Health Clinic, especially if you are traveling to a developing country. The Travel Health Nurse will provide you with helpful information about vaccines, entry requirements for visas, and general health precautions to take tailored to your specific travel destination and itinerary.
Please note that a $35 fee is charged for visits to the UHS Travel Health Clinic. This fee cannot be charged to insurance.
Who Can Complete Your Health Clearance Form
Students may visit their personal medical provider, University Health Services, or a local clinic to complete their Health Clearance Form. Many students elect to have their health clearance completed by their personal physician while home over spring or winter break.
Several Austin-area clinics have agreed to complete Study Abroad's health clearance form. We have listed a few below. This list is not exhaustive, and is only meant as a starting point. Students should note that not all of the clinics below accept insurance for physical examinations.
- Location: 2901 N. I35, Suite 1.301, Austin, TX 78722
- Phone: (512) 232-3900
- Multiple locations available.
- 2555 Western Trails,
Austin, TX 78745
Disclaimer: This list is provided solely as a service to our users. It does not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs.