the univeristy of texas at austin

Home  | Site Search:

UT Austin International Office International Student and Scholar Services


The 2017 GLACIER Tax Prep for income earned in the 2016 calendar year will be made available in late-February 2017.

All currently enrolled students and scholars will be emailed once it is available. 

ISSS has purchased a license agreement for the GLACIER Tax Prep software to assist you and your dependents prepare nonresident alien U.S. tax returns. GLACIER Tax Prep is able to provide the following services:

  • Determine your U.S tax residency status
  • Determine eligible tax deductions, credits, and allowances
  • Review eligibility to claim tax treaty benefits
  • Prepare Form 1040NR, Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 8843, and any other required tax documents for both the student/scholar and their dependents
  • Calculate tax refund or tax due to the IRS

Before logging into GLACIER Tax Prep, make sure you have the following items:

  • Any income tax documents you received for 2016 (Form W-2, Form 1042-S, etc.)
  • Passport
  • A history of entries and exits to and from the U.S.
    • The I-94 website may be able to provide you with a travel history, but it may be incomplete. It is your responsibility to provide an accurate travel history to GTP in order to best complete your tax return. 
  • Copy of last year's nonresident tax return, if you filed a return
  • A tax filing number (either ITIN or SSN) for both yourself and any dependents you wish to claim on your tax return.
    • Only students from Mexico, India, Canada, and South Korea are able to claim their dependents on their tax returns under very specific circumstances.

Please make sure you have all your 2016 income documents before starting GTP to avoid filing your taxes incorrectly. You will receive income forms only for the income types you received in 2016. For example, students/scholars who received only scholarship or fellowship income in 2016 will only receive the Form 1042-S. Students/scholars who received only income from work will only receive the Form W-2.