the univeristy of texas at austin

Home  | Site Search:

UT Austin International Office International Student and Scholar Services

Financial Requirements

Certification of Financial Responsibility

Students planning to attend UT Austin in F-1 or J-1 status must complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR). While this form is not required for consideration of your application for admission, it is necessary for preparation of the immigration document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) for The University of Texas at Austin. If you do not plan to enroll at The University in F-1 or J-1 status, you are not required to submit the CFR.

Financial documents are only accepted through the document upload page. Documents submitted via mail, email or fax will not be accepted.

*Note: Executive Education Program tuition rates vary for each degree program. These expenses are not specifically listed on the CFR but should be entered into the Option III / Executive Programs "Tuition" column and submitted for issuance of an I-20 or DS-2019.

The Cost of Attending UT Austin

The cost of tuition and fees varies by department and level of study. Tuition and fees are determined by the Texas Legislature and UT Austin, and are subject to change without notice. For more information about tuition and fees, see the following websites:

Estimated Annual Expenses

Living expenses vary from $1,375 to $1,550 per month depending on individual lifestyle. The minimum estimate of $1,420 per month is for a single student with a frugal lifestyle. Students with dependents should be prepared to spend more: at least $710 per month more for a spouse and $290 per month more for each child. This estimate does not include the cost of dependent health insurance coverage, which can be quite expensive. If students are accompanied by dependents, the estimated living expenses for dependents will appear on the immigration document. As an international student, you should plan to keep an emergency balance equal to at least two month's expenses on deposit in an Austin bank at all times.

Fees Specific to International Students

International students are charged $125 per semester for the ISSS Support Services Fee. The fee is used to provide comprehensive services and activities to support international students enrolled at the university. The ISSS Support Services Fee is charged as a part of the tuition bill and is automatically included each semester that a student is enrolled (fall/spring/summer).

International students are required to have health insurance and are automatically billed the cost of student health insurance. The fees appear on the tuition bill after students register for classes. Health insurance fees can be found on the health insurance website along with the options for showing proof of alternate coverage.

Paying Your Tuition & Fees at UT Austin

You may pay tuition and fee bills by personal check, cash, traveler's checks, or electronic transfer (or by MasterCard when using the on-line registration system). For more information see How to Pay.

Your tuition and fees for the fall and spring semesters may be paid in three installments, with the first 50% being due at the time of registration. Although this option of multiple payments is available, it is suggested that the entire amount of tuition and fees be paid at the time of initial registration.

Financial Assistance for International Students/Employment Eligibility

Financial aid is generally not available to new international students, and financial assistance to continuing students is extremely limited. Once you have attended The University of Texas at Austin and have established an outstanding academic record, it may be possible for you to apply for scholarships through your academic department. Awards are based on academic achievement, but the availability of these funds is very limited. For information regarding Financial Assistance from the International Office, please see the international student financial aid page.

You should not plan to support your studies through on- or off-campus employment unless you are a graduate student who has been offered a specific departmental award. Students in valid status are eligible to work on-campus (20 hours per week during long sessions, 40 hours per week during vacation periods). Off-campus employment is restricted by regulations of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Students from Mexico

Admitted students from Mexico may apply for a waiver of the non-resident portion of tuition through the Tuition Assistance for Mexican Students (TAMS) program. TAMS awards are competitive and not all students who apply receive the award.

Please see the international student financial aid page for priority deadlines, additional information, and to download the application.