There are two types of institutional loans that international students may access through the International Office in order to temporarily finance their studies:
- Tuition Loan ($4,000 maximum)
- Emergency Cash Loan ($500 maximum)
Eligibility Requirements for Tuition and Emergency Cash Loans:
- Must be enrolled full-time (Undergraduate – 12 hrs; Graduate – 9 hrs)*
- Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA if Undergraduate; 3.0 GPA if Graduate
- Must not have any outstanding financial bars
*Note: Accommodations will be made for students enrolled in Dissertation/Thesis/Report, which fall below full-time enrollment.
- 4% interest will be charged annually per loan
- Tuition Loans must be paid back to The University within three months of taking out the loan (two months if done during summer semester)
- Emergency Cash Loans must be paid back to the University within one month of taking out the loan
- Emergency Cash Loans can not be given if less than 30 days are remaining in the current semester
- Repayment of a Tuition or Emergency Cash Loan can be completed online on the What I Owe page.
- Failure to pay back a Tuition Loan or Emergency Cash Loan by the specified due date will result in a financial bar placed on the student’s record. A financial bar will prevent grades/transcripts/diplomas issuance and registration for classes. The loan will be turned over to a collection agency and a 33% collection fee will be added to the original amount if the financial bar continues to go unpaid.
- Extensions for loan repayment can not be requested
How to Apply for a Tuition Loan
Tuition Loans are available through Student Accounts Receivable. Note that the maximum an international student may take borrow for a tuition loan is $4,000. Additionally, the promissory note for the tuition loan must be signed in person at the Student Accounts Receivable office located in MAI, Room 8. The remainder of the first installment of the tuition bill must be paid at the time of signing the promissory note.
Note: Student must have a High Assurance EID in order to process an online Tuition Loan.
Visit the International Office during office hours to request a loan to be processed.
How to Apply for an Emergency Cash Loan
Call the International Office at (512) 471-2477 to request a cash loan to be processed.
Visit the International Office during office hours to request a cash loan to be processed.