Listed below are private foundations that offer scholarship or loan opportunities for international students. Most of these opportunities are offered at a nationwide level (they are not specific to UT Austin).
The International Peace Scholarship
The International Peace Scholarship Fund is a program which provides grants-in-aid for selected women from other countries for graduate study in the United States and Canada. An international scholarship program was initiated by P.E.O. in 1949. The P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund was established in 1959. Believing that education is fundamental to world peace and understanding, members of P.E.O. support this
An applicant must be qualified for admission to full-time graduate study and working toward a graduate degree in the college or university of her choice in the United States or Canada. Eligibility must be established before application material is sent to applicants. The eligibility material may be requested at any time, but the completed material will be accepted back in the International Peace Scholarship Office, P.E.O. Executive Office only after August 15, and before the deadline of December 15. Eligibility may be determined online through the IPS Online Eligibility Form.
P.E.O. International Peace Scholarships are given as grants-in-aid. They are not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses. At the time of application, the applicant is required to confirm additional financial resources adequate to meet her estimated expenses. Examples of additional resources are personal and family funds, tuition waivers, work scholarships, teaching assistantships, study grants and other scholarship grants.
- A student holding citizenship in the United States or Canada is ineligible.
- Scholarships are not given for online courses, research, internships, or practical training.
- Doctoral students who have completed course work and are only working on dissertations are not eligible as first-time applicants
In order to qualify for her first scholarship, an applicant must have a full year of coursework remaining and be enrolled and on campus for the entire school year. A student who has received an AAUW grant will be ineligible for an IPS scholarship during the same academic year. She will be eligible to apply for an IPS scholarship for the following year.
Information concerning the International Peace Scholarship Program is available from:
P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund
P.E.O. Executive Office
3700 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50312-2899
Application material will be sent only if satisfactory information establishing eligibility has been received from the applicant.
Applications must include
- Promise to Return - An applicant must submit a witnessed statement that upon completion of her degree program, she will return immediately to her own country to pursue her professional career. This statement must be signed by both applicant and witness. An applicant selected to receive a scholarship will be required to repay any scholarship monies received if she fails to return to her own country upon completion of her degree program.
- Travel Expense - The applicant must have her round trip or return travel expense guaranteed at the time of application.
- Sponsor- An applicant must have a sponsor who is a citizen of the United States or Canada, and who will act as her nonacademic adviser.
Announcement of Awards
Awards will be announced in April. The amount of the scholarship will be divided into two payments to be distributed in August and November.
Leo S. Rowe Pan American Loan Fund
The Leo S. Rowe Pan American Fund offers interest-free loans to student from Latin America and the Caribbean.
The maximum loan is $7500 every 6 months and a maximum of $15,000 over all per student.
To Be Eligible a Person Must
- Be a citizen of a country in Latin America or the Caribbean
- Be in F-1 or J-1 student status
- Be within 2 years of completing an undergraduate degree or 3 years of completing a graduate degree
- Be enrolled full-time
- Maintain a meritorious academic record
- Have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident act as co-guarantor on the loan
More more information about this loan fund or to access an application form go to http://www.oas.org/rowe.
IEFA Scholarship Search Engine
IEFA's Scholarship Search Engine allows you to search for outside scholarships by country of residence.