ESL Services offers a variety of courses and programs to support current and future University of Texas students and scholars.
FOR ESL STUDENTS
- The Academic English Program (AEP) is an intensive (full-time) program designed for ESL students planning to enter a Master's or Ph.D. program at The University of Texas or another US university. AEP specifically prepares students for graduate study.
- The English Language Program (ELP) offers full-time and part-time options. Students include undergraduates, visiting scholars, businesspeople, and family members of UT faculty and students. Course content focuses on communication for study, business, and daily life.
For intensive study, ESL Services provides all of the necessary paperwork to apply for the appropriate student visa.
Dates and Costs
FOR NEW UT STUDENTS ADMITTED FOR FALL 2013
Join our Summer Academic English Programs to polish your English before starting your degree program.
CELTA: FOR STUDENTS WHO WANT TO BE CERTIFIED TO TEACH ESL
The CELTA stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages. This is the most widely recognized certificate program for teaching English. It is a 120-hour course, which includes 8 hours of supervised teaching experience.
More information on the UT CELTA
FOR CURRENT UT STUDENTS
Testing, Workshop, and Courses for International Teaching Assistants:
- ITA Testing for English certification
- ITA Workshop
- ITA Courses
- ESL 389T: Communication and Teaching Culture
- ESL 388T: Basic Speaking Skills for Potential International Teaching Assistants
Courses for enrolled international graduate students:
- ESL 388S: Oral Communication for International Students
- ESL 388W: Academic Writing for International Students
- ESL 389S: Advanced Oral Communication for International Students
- ESL 389W: Advanced Academic Writing for International Students
- ESL 389T: Communication and Teaching Culture (for potential ITAs)
- ESL 388T: Basic Speaking Skills for Potential International Teaching Assistants (for potential ITAs)
ESL Services also offers specialized courses for both English Language study and English Language teacher training. Individuals or agencies that are interested in these kinds of courses should contact the program director, Dr. Michael T. Smith at email@example.com.