|Expenses Paid to UT|
|Application fee||$50||Within 10 days of
starting an application
|For both incomplete and complete applications.|
|Deposit||$500||December 10||Amount is applied to program fee.|
|Program fee balance||Varies||February 20||Fee varies per program (est. $3,000-6,000).|
|Insurance||$95||10 days prior to
program start date
|Posts as "International Office".|
|Tuition||Included in spring semester flat-rate tuition for undergraduate students.
Graduate students should refer to the UT tuition schedule
|Fees post to What I Owe; tuition posts to My Tuition Bill. More info at Study Abroad Billing
Application fee and deposit are non-refundable. See Financial Responsibility Policy for additional information.
|Airfare||Varies||March 1||Student makes arrangements and
pays vendor/provider directly.
|Health clearance appointment||$25-75+||March 1|
|Books/Materials||Varies||Prior to departure|
|Any expense not included in
the program fee
|See program's page for total estimated expense.|
Financial Responsibility Policy
Students that withdraw on or after February 21 will be held financially responsible for a pre-determined percentage of the program fee.
- International Education Fee Scholarship (Spring & Maymester) $1200-1800 scholarships. Award description, eligibility criteria and applications are available on GLOBAL ASSIST.
Deadline October 1.
- Maymester Scholarship - International Office $2000 scholarships. Award description, eligibility criteria and applications are available on GLOBAL ASSIST.
Deadline November 1.
- 25-Year Anniversary Scholarlship (Maymester) $2000 scholarships available for programs in under-represented regions: Africa, Asia (excluding China), Caribbean, Central America and the Middle East. Award description, eligibility criteria and applications are available on GLOBAL ASSIST.
Deadline November 1.
- COLA Scholarships $500-2000 scholarships available for:
Memory and the City - Austria, Vienna
Cuba in Question - Havana, Cuba
Nature, Society, and Sustainability - Cuenca, Ecuador
History of Social Entrepreneurship - Beijing, China
Sport and Society - Leeds, England
Award description, eligibility criteria and applications are available on GLOBAL ASSIST.
Deadline: November 1.
- Benjamin A. Gilman Awards. For Pell Grant recipients. Scholarships up to $5000. Online application. (Note: Maymesters are considered summer programs by Gilman).
Deadline March 1.
More scholarships are listed on Funding Study Abroad.
Using Financial Aid
Aid-eligible students may use financial aid to cover program costs. Financial aid for study abroad is usually in the form of loans, some of which require a co-signer. OSFS sends Electronic Financial Aid Notifications (E-FAN) over the winter break.
Financial Aid Disbursements for Maymesters
Aid-eligible recipients receive their regular spring disbursement, followed by a second disbursement for the Maymester in February. Any student who has not received their revised E-FAN and second disbursement by February 15 should:
- Check their CASH and/speak with their Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS) counselor to ask if there are requirements to complete.
- Notify their program coordinator that the aid may release late.
Deferring the Program Balance to Financial Aid
The program balance (excludes the $500 non-refundable deposit) may be deferred to financial aid. This does not remove the charge from What I Owe. If there is a difference between what financial aid covers and what is owed, the student should pay the difference by February 20.
Students that withdraw on or after February 21 will be held financially responsible for a pre-determined percentage of the program fee (the 2015 policy will be added soon).
Students may withdraw online (not available for all programs) or withdraw by e-mailing the program coordinator. In addition, students are responsible for dropping their Maymester course(s) in accordance with UT registration procedures.