Program List | Application | Registration | After Acceptance | Payment | Info Sessions | Contacts
WATCH: How to Apply
Applications for Maymester 2013 are closed.
Applications for Maymester 2014 open after September 1, 2013.
- Basic student information
- Signed financial responsibility statement
- Signed responsibilities of participation and code of conduct
- Two essays (see tips below)
- A link to an online reference questionnaire to be sent to UT faculty member
- UT disciplinary check (automatically submitted, no action required)
$50 non-refundable fee is charged to What I Owe after clicking “submit application” on the first page.
The application asks for first and second choice programs. The second choice listed does not affect first choice acceptance decisions. If you do not have a second choice program, enter the first choice again.
Tips for Completing the Essays
Essay 1: What are your academic goals? How will studying on this specific course complement these goals? Please consider both the content and location of the program's course(s).
Essay 2: What are your personal and professional goals? How will studying on this specific program complement these goals?
- No more than 250 words each.
- The audience is the faculty director and Study Abroad program coordinator.
- Avoid general statements like, “I want to study abroad to broaden my horizons."
- Make connections to the program location and course content.
- Address your motivation, goals and preparedness to study abroad.
- Focus on specific examples to illustrate your essay's points.
- Utilize the Undergraduate Writing Center or the UT Learning Center.
- Type the essays in a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word), then copy and paste them into the online application.
Online Reference Questionnaire
The application includes a link to a reference questionnaire. The applicant will e-mail this link to a UT faculty member. The reference questionnaire consists of 6 questions and a comments box. It should take the faculty less than 10 minutes, but give the faculty member at least a week to complete the reference.
To verify your reference has been received, check your MySAO application menu. Once received, the box that says “Awaiting Submission” will read “Submitted.”
Notifications will go out before Thanksgiving break. Likewise, IEFS and COLA scholarship notifications are scheduled to go out prior to Thanksgiving.