STOP: Before beginning, students must determine if they are traveling to any country currently listed as a UT-Restricted Region.
Students traveling to UT-Restricted Regions must follow the Restricted Regions Travel Authorization Process only. (These students do not follow any additional steps listed on this page)
Steps to Obtain Authorization for Travel Abroad
STEP 1. Review and Complete your International Travel Request Authorization Form below:
- Individual Students must complete an International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF - Individual)
- Group Leaders (requesting travel authorization on behalf of a student group) must complete an International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF - Group)
STEP 2 . Obtain the appropriate signatures and collect any needed additional documents. Submit all completed forms and documents to UT Study Abroad via email. (forms may be scanned and emailed, faxed or dropped off at Study Abroad in the UT International Office)
Submit through Email: email@example.com
Students: please include your destination(s), UT EID, and travel dates in the subject line of your email (Example: “Travel to France (EID) 8/30-9/15"), and your full name and EID on all attachments (Example: "Joe Smith (EID) ITRAF-Docs".
Mailing Address: PO Box A, Austin, TX 78713-8901; Physical Address: International Office, 2400 Nueces St., Suite B, Austin, TX 78705; Fax #: 512-232-4363; Campus Mail Code: A7000
STEP 3. (Recommended) Review the UT Overseas Insurance Website for information on student insurance coverage while abroad.
- All UT students travelling internationally are automatically enrolled in UT Overseas Insurance coverage, and pay the associated fee ($19/per week). These charges are not included in student tuition, and will appear on a student's What I Owe webpage.
- Students will be charged for each semester of travel individually. This means that if a student is studying/researching abroad for continuous academic periods, the student will see a separate charge for each academic period on his/her What I Owe page.
STEP 4. Await confirmation of International Travel Authorization via Email before departing the country.
- If traveling to a UT-Restricted Region, travel authorization cannot be granted until your Restricted Regions process is complete.
- Estimated processing time for authorization is 4 to 7 days - please plan accordingly.
NOTE FOR UT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS TRAVELING ABROAD :
- To determine whether or not you are eligible for a waiver of the UT Domestic (U.S.) student insurance fees while you are abroad, please go to http://world.utexas.edu/isss/insurance/waivers and review the chart to find your eligibility category and deadline.
- For specific questions about insurance, please try using https://austin-utexas.custhelp.com/app/answers/list to receive a brief answer to your question.
Last Updated June 2015