STOP: Before beginning, students must determine if they are traveling to any country currently on the UT-Restricted Regions List.
Students traveling to Category 1, 2 or 3 UT-Restricted Regions must request International Oversight Committee (IOC) Approval only. These students will not submit any additional travel request forms other than the IOC Approval paperwork. (These students do not need to follow any additional steps listed below on this page)
Students traveling to Category 4 UT-Restricted Regions must request International Oversight Committee (IOC) Approval, and follow the steps for travel authorization listed below (the ITRAF process). Students are advised to work on both processes at the same time.
Students who are not traveling to UT-Restricted Regions are required only to complete the steps for travel authorization listed below:
Steps to Obtain Authorization for Travel Abroad
STEP 1. Review and Complete your International Travel Request Authorization Form below:
- Individual Students must complete an International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF - Individual)
- Group Leaders (requesting travel authorization on behalf of a student group) must complete an International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF - Group)
STEP 2 . Obtain the appropriate signatures and collect any needed additional documents. Submit all completed forms and documents to UT Study Abroad via email. (forms may be scanned and emailed, faxed or dropped off at Study Abroad in the UT International Office)
Submit through Email: email@example.com
Students: please include your destination(s), UT EID, and travel dates in the subject line of your email (Example: “Travel to France (EID) 8/30-9/15"), and your full name and EID on all attachments (Example: "Joe Smith (EID) ITRAF-Docs".
Mailing Address: PO Box A, Austin, TX 78713-8901
Physical Address: International Office, 2400 Nueces St., Suite B, Austin, TX 78705
Fax #: 512-232-4363
- Campus Mail Code: A7000
STEP 3. Review the UT Overseas Insurance Website for information on student's coverage while abroad.
- All eligible students are automatically enrolled in UT Overseas Insurance plan and pay the associated fee ($19/per week). These charges are not included in student tuition, and will appear on a student's What I Owe webpage.
- Students will be charged for each semester of travel individually. This means that if a student is studying/researching abroad for continuous academic periods, the student will see a separate charge for each academic period on his/her What I Owe page.
STEP 4. View the Online Travel Workshop
- (turn up your volume and click the arrow to advance slides)
STEP 5. Await for confirmation of International Travel Authorization via Email from UT Study Abroad before departing the country.
- If traveling to a UT-Restricted Region, Study Abroad will not be able to confirm authorization until your IOC Approval process is complete.
- Estimated processing time for authorization is 2-3 weeks - please plan accordingly.
NOTE REGARDING UT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS TRAVELING ABROAD : International students returning to their home country are not eligible for Overseas Insurance.
- To determine whether or not you are eligible for a waiver of the United Healthcare student insurance fees, please go to http://world.utexas.edu/isss/insurance/waivers and review the chart to find your eligibility category and deadline.
- For specific questions about insurance, please try using https://austin-utexas.custhelp.com/app/answers/list to receive a brief answer to your question.
Last Updated August 2013